Sunday, April 5, 2009

Summertime, and the living is easy....


Ok, I know it is Spring but that song feels about right today. This weather has turned the blood in my veins to maple syrup, I am so, so lazy. I could easily lay down on the deck with a pillow, close my eyes and imagine I was sitting on a beach in Hawaii. Didn't get a wink of sleep last night but drank some great locally roasted coffee so I am doing ok. My dad came over for a nice visit and when he left I switched to Mexican beer, fresh lime and a salted rim. I thank living in the Central Valley for teaching me the proper way to drink a Mexican beer.

I am alternately chasing butterflies and hummingbirds with our camera. Amazing monarchs flutter about, the family that planted our landscape put in tons of butterfly friendly flowers. A huge one landed on my purple freesia this morning but before I could get a picture Dust did his barking impression and it fluttered away. There is a family of hummingbirds that live here, two grown and two tiny. It is not unusual for them to hover at our bedroom window just staring at us, they are around all the time. I am one who believes in signs, spirits, so I always wonder who is saying hi. I cut a bunch of the freesia and put it on the deck hoping the hummingbirds will like it.

Today I feel like this is the day I have been waiting for all week. Some weeks just prove harder than others, this one sure did. The thing that always strikes me is something I noticed as a career barista, people move in cycles. It never failed, bad weeks or days seemed to show in people who had no knowledge of eachother. I have seen this in the blogs I follow lately, the last few weeks have been a bit trying. I wonder what that is? I guess we are all more connected than we think. Today though, I am finally content.

I am excited for next weekend, I am venturing back to the Bay Area with the boys. My dad is driving us in and I am spending Saturday with my dad, mom and sis. My husband isn't on speaking terms with my mom so he is staying here. The boys and I are staying overnight though, and going to Easter Sunday with my grandparents. I am excited, I love going back to where I grew up. I wish in some ways we could afford to raise the boys there but in many ways I think here is better for them. Any way, it should be fun.

There is a mound of laundry to be done, cleaning all over the place, but Har just fell asleep for his nap so I think I am going to head outside with my camera and Dustin....goodbye for now. I leave with a picture from earlier this week, our New Year's bottle of tequila, empty of liquor but filled with purple freesia.

2 comments:

  1. Your post filled my heart with spring. We are covered in a layer of snow out here in Chicago. I have such a yearning to move to CA... perhaps I will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may interest you to know that the Anna's Hummingbird is the most common hummingbird found in Southern California. It is also one of three species of hummingbirds, along with Allen's and Costa's, that are permanent residents of the U.S. or Canada. Also, unlike most other species of hummingbirds, they have a minimal song.

    Here is some other interesting facts about the Anna's Hummingbird. It was originally only found on the Pacific slope from Baja California to San Francisco. This bird has increased its population and expanded its breeding range in recent years to Vancouver, British Colombia, east to southern Arizona. This expansion is believed to be due to the introduction of exotic flowering plants, especially Eucalyptus, red-hot-poker and tree tobacco,and by the proliferation of hummingbird feeders.

    If you would like much more information about hummingbirds, please click the links below. The sites contain many articles about hummingbirds, video clips about hummingbirds, an informative tips booklet on hummingbirds, and much more.

    Click Here To Visit About Hummingbirds

    Hummingbirds For Mom

    ReplyDelete