Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Germs, germs and germs



These last few days have been miserable for our entire house. Like many other bloggers I have been reading, and friends I have been hearing from, we have the flu. Baby flu, toddler flu, mommy and daddy flu. 3 years of the cold season with a little one and I am still surprised when we get sick.

I expected it when we lived in the petri dish of the Bay Area but up here? Seriously. Somehow I think living in a county that has only one single town that is incorporated should keep you from getting this sick. It doesn't. The only plus we have is the fresh air, currently filled with the scent of warm earth and pine. If I could manage to drag my achy muscles outside, carrying the little one who has refused to do two things since he has been sick, 1. Stop nursing 2. Be put down, I could probably really benefit from that fresh air.

Dust started off with the flu first so he seems to be getting slightly better and I am thankful that he is a fairly good patient. I feel so bad that I haven't been able to take care of him like I would like to, I can't because Har needs me to carry him everywhere or attach him to me so he can eat and eat and eat. I don't think that Dust minds though, he was pretty content to help himself to popsicle after popsicle yesterday, commanding ownership of the living room and watching his favorite cartoons while either curled up in our comfy chair or drawing self portraits of himself with sharpies (thankfully on paper since the only pens he will draw with are sharpies).

I lay in bed this morning, sore throat, runny nose, trying to calculate how much sleep I got between arguing with E (because he loves to argue in the middle of the night, so much fun!), cradling Har and angling myself so he could attach himself to me and eat all night.

E, in the middle of the night, goes "Has he been nursing all night?" me "No!" him "It sure seems like it!" to which I want to smack him in the face because hello a really sick mini toddler (17 months- not quite a toddler, not quite a baby) is not the ideal situation in which to induce weaning, or sleeping in their own bed.

It is always at this point that instead of unleashing on him like I really want to I think about my sister in law in Florida who upon having her kids move out set up a room for herself to sleep in when her husband snores. Oh, to have a room to go to when E is grumpy and tossing and turning. Then I think about an article I read not too long ago about the resurgence of couples having separate bedrooms and how it can really help a marriage. That article was really funny because they had done a lot of studies and concluded wives sleep less better while in bed with hubby while hubby sleeps much better. Figures.

Anyway, I digress. Sleep has been hard to come by these last few days, but coffee? Nice and fresh, two cups doing me just fine. Sleep, who needs it when you have coffee. Of course right now Har is snoring away and has been for the past 2 hours. He really does sleep better when I am not next to him, this I know, but we have to wait until he is better before training him to sleep on his own. Oh, that is not going to be fun. I was terrible about teaching him to self soothe, he has zero ability to soothe himself and relies entirely on me to comfort him. A whole other blog posting, a whole other can of worms.

The only sort of silver lining about us all being sick is I have been finding a lot of great new blogs. I added a bunch more to my follower list. I am not a good commenter on blogs, I guess I only write things if I feel I have something to offer, but I love to read them and follow them. Sometimes I think people may think I am weird if I start following their blog and they have no idea who I am, I hope not. I wouldn't feel that way if someone followed mine.

I guess it is about time to wrap up this blog post, it seems to be heading nowhere fast. Hopefully we will have a nice quiet day today and can enjoy some of it, albeit it behind runny eyes and sore throats. I will close with a picture of my sick, sick boys. No pictures of me, I hate being in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment